FWC offers gator hunting classes
For immediate release: July 23, 2010
Contact: Steve Stiegler, 850-488-3831
Florida Wildlife Commission
Alligator, FWC photo
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is offering alligator hunters no-cost, three-hour classes to help them prepare for the Aug. 15 – Nov. 1 statewide alligator harvest. Reservations are not required to attend a gator hunting class.
Attendance is not mandatory for licensed hunters, but the FWC recommends that participants attend, especially if they have not previously hunted for alligators. Class topics include preparing for the hunt, hunting techniques and safety, harvesting and processing, caring for your alligator hide and alligator hunting rules and regulations. Also, persons who do not have an alligator harvest permit can attend if they want to learn what hunting alligators is all about.
Classes will be offered at the following locations:
- July 25 (Sunday), 2-5 p.m., Sanford, Sanford Civic Center, 401 East Seminole Blvd. For directions call 407-302-1010 or visit http://www.sanfordfl.gov/departments/leisure_services/civic_center.html.
- July 28 (Wednesday), 6-9 p.m., Tallahassee, Bryant Bldg., 2nd floor auditorium, 620 S. Meridian St. For directions, call 850-488-3831.
- July 31 (Saturday), 1-4 p.m., Dania Beach, IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum, 300 Gulf Stream Way. For directions, call 954-922-4212 or visit http://www.igfa.org.
- Aug. 4 (Wednesday), 6-9 p.m., Gainesville, Paramount Plaza Hotel and Suites, 2900 S.W. 13th St. For directions call 352-377-4000 or visit http://www.paramountplaza.com.
- Aug. 7 (Saturday), 1-4 p.m., Bradenton, Bradenton Municipal Auditorium, 1005 Barcarrota Blvd. For directions, visit http://bradenton.govoffice.com/index.asp and click on “Public Facilities” in the left column menu.
- Aug. 8 (Sunday), 2-5 p.m., Okeechobee, Okeechobee County Civic Center, 1750 U.S. Hwy 98 North. For directions call 863-462-5195.
Alligator trapping “agent” permits are available for $52. Agent permits enable permit holders to assist a licensed trapper in taking alligators.
For more information on these exciting alligator hunts, visit www.myfwc.com/WildlifeHabitats/Alligator_index.htmMyFWC.com/gators and click “Statewide Hunts.”
(From Gator Hunting to Hunting News)
(Return to Home Page)
Public Hunting Land (WMA)
Submit Your Hunting Story/Photos
Frequently Asked Questions